Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Fusion Blanket Crochet Along Blanket

***Update***I scrapped this project because it was too involved for a summer project, maybe in the future (during the winter) I will give it a go again!

I joined Little Miss Shabby's Flickr group to document my progress on my Fusion Blanket Crochet Along Blanket (I like it so much that I used blanket twice!)  I got inspired by Sewing Daisies tutorial of her Kaffe Fusion Blanket.  I chose 2 floral charm packs, both by Moda, that had similar shades of red, blue, and cream. 
 

However, the other colors, the grays from Etchings by 3 Sisters and the browns from Collection for a Cause-Legacy by Howard Marcus don't really jive with each other, so I decided to seperate them by using them on opposite sides.     I may or may not keep this particular layout. 



I'm making my blanket to measure 6 squares by 7 squares totaling 84 charm squares.  With the added crochet edging, each block should finish at 6 inches squared and that should make up to be a nice sized 36" x 42" lap quilt. I used up all of my charm squares with the exception of 3 oddball shades of blue that don't mesh well with the rest of the colors in either collection.


 

Here is my first practice block.  I used a neutral grey thread to top stitch my charm block.  I used red cotton crochet thread for my blanket stitch.



 
Little Miss Shabby provides a great tutorial on getting started with sewing the charm squares and adding the blanket stitching.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Looking forward to seeing your progress, Christie! Looks like fun!

Christie said...

Thanks Michelle, now that I know you're lurking, er watching, then I'll have someone to show off to...besides Laura, and Peg, and Robin, you're one of my fav quilting heroes! ;-)